Friday, February 17, 2006

Dictionary Play - A, as in, "There's ~ man outside"

A man in a diner, he drinks his coffee. The waitress approaches him.

Waitress : More coffee?
Man : No. I'm fine, thank you.

She begins to walk away.

Man : Actually, I'm sorry, I would like more coffee, please.
Waitress (mildly annoyed) : Sure.

She pours the coffee.

Man : I don't really want more coffee. I need to tell you something.
Waitress : What is it?
Man : There is a man outside. He's been standing out there a while. He's kind of suspicious.
Waitress : What do you mean a man?
Man : With a penis. A man with a penis and facial hair. He's been standing outside since I got here. And I've been here a while.
Waitress : Why are you telling me?
Man : Because, you can do something about it. Have your manager ask him to leave.
Waitress : I'm not asking him to leave. I haven't even seen him yet.
Man : Well go look.
Waitress : Fine.

The waitress walks away, leaving her coffee pot. The man tops off his coffee. The waitress runs back and sits across from him.

Waitress : You're right. Oh my god. There is a man outside.
Man : See? I told you.
Waitress : What am I going to do?
Man : Ask him to leave. Tell him that loitering is not allowed here.
Waitress : Won't that provoke him into doing something?
Man : What if he's waiting until the top of the hour to make his move?
Waitress : Oh god, it's nearly one.
Man : Oh shit. I need to go back to work. I've got to go.
Waitress : What? What about the man outside? He's still there. You're just abandoning us?
Man : I've got work.
Waitress : Then don't expect to ever come back here again.
Man : Alright, fine. Do you have a cell phone?
Waitress : No.
Man : Ok. A payphone?
Waitress : Yes. It's where that man is outside.
Man : Shit.
Waitress : Wait. There's a backdoor. What if we both left? I'll get the cooks and we'll all go. So when he makes his move no one will be here to move on.
Man : Ok. Let's do it. I'll go first. Wait ten seconds and follow me. Where's the door?
Waitress : It's back to the left of the bathrooms. With the sign that says "Custodial Supplies, Employees only"

The man pauses.

Man : Ok. I'm going. Remember. Count to ten and follow.
Waitress : Ok.

The man leaves. The waitress counts to ten and leaves also. In the background Spanish speaking voices are heard. Finally, a door is shut and it is quiet.

A family enters.

Mom : Now tell them to hurry up. Say I'm hungry, hurry up!
Little Girl : I'm hungry! Hurry up!
Mom : Hahah.

The family stands and waits.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home