Saturday, February 18, 2006

Dictionary Play - AA, as in, "AntiAircraft"

A man stands outside a diner. He wears a camoflauge army jacket. He looks older than he should. There is a glass door looking inside. There is a payphone.

Man : And now, with my mind I will stop all air travel above this diner.

He concentrates.

Man : Yes. No aircraft have flown over. My home is completely safe from harm. Home. Hardly anymore. Diner, you used to be my home. When I was little, you used to have an upstairs. I remember you as a house. I walked down the orange carpet from my bedroom. It was the day I learned that I did not like the feeling of wet jeans on my legs. It was a warm feeling, because I had urinated in my pants. Diner. I was little, I didn't have the control I have now.

He wets himself.

Man : Usually. Oh god. I hear an airplane.

He concentrates.

Man : Safe. I remember after I learned to ride my bicycle, I rode down the hill very fast, and fell off. I scraped up my arm pretty badly, and I remember it looking like bird poop. You were where I grew up.

He pauses. A waitress comes to the door, looks at him. Horrified, she runs away from the door.

Man : And then there was the high school. I'd actually moved to a different state. A completely different world. I was naive enough to think that I was just on a vacation from you and I'd return quickly. I did not like high school, so I dropped out when I turned eighteen. I joined the military.

The sound of a plane.

Man : Oh god. I have let my guard down. Aircraft! Stay away! Do not attack my home!

The sound of arguing between a man and a woman.

Man : Why. That's not an airplane. That's a minivan.

A family enters.

Husband : I don't care if she wants it as a pet. We're not getting it for her. You only encourage it. Nobody like a child who is precoscious all the time. Jesus Christ, Patti.

Wife : Don't Jesus Christ me. Your son over there has got delinquent all over him because of your stories of when you and your alcoholic friend would rob convenience stores.

Husband : He's not going to become a delinquent. He knew those stories were to warn him.

A man, a waitress, and three latino men in aprons run through. No one notices.

Wife : You know what? Let's not talk about this right now. We wanted to have a nice lunch. Let's just have it.

There is a pause.

Man : Airplanes! Stay away!

Husband : Fine.

The family enters.

Man : It's been twenty years diner, since I lived in you as my house. I'm not leaving anymore. I'm staying here. Just because you're different than what I remember, doesn't make you less important or not my house.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home