Saturday, January 21, 2006

Seeing That Awful, Incorrigible Reflection

11 : Good morning, Eleven. It's a new day, a new adventure. New new new. New. New.

He cocks his head at the mirror. He takes a step back.

11 : Ow. Shit. My foot. What the..?

He tries to look at the back bottom of his foot. He hits his foot on the toilet, then spins around trying to look. Eventually, he sits on the toilet and lifts his foot up to the mirror.

11 : Oh my god. What is that?

The lights change. There is less focus on Eleven then there is on the mirror and the foot.

12 (his foot) : Good morning foot. It is time. Today is the day you will meet her. Her. Your mother. It's been years since you first began writing your letters. First letters, then emails. Emails. Amazing where the world has gone in terms of ease of communication, technology, board games. Do you think that in the future, we might return to the pen and paper. But by pen and paper, you mean communication through thought. Mother, I'm thinking to you, are you there?

There is a pause.

13 (offstage) : Are you ready yet?

The lights change back to normal.

11 : Yes. In a minute. I need a minute.

13 : Hurry up.

He begins brushing his teeth and talking.

11 : What would it be like to live on the moon? To find new creatures. Aliens. They're called aliens. I wonder if I could be friends with an alien. Do they even know what friendship is?

He spits, steps back and winces. He sits down and lifts his foot again.

13 : Eleven! We have to go. Now!

The lights change.

12 : Why did you abandon me mom? I wonder. It's not something I could ask through our correspondence. It would be too much for you to explain, being in prison and all. It doesn't matter what the judge said, I think that guy was dangerous. A hot dog does look like a gun. And it was dark, like you said, so there's no way you could have known it was my dad trying to make up with you. After you left a week after I was born.

pause.

12 : Some times I think we should all get a freebie. Population control.

11 stands back up shaking his head and begins combing his hair.

11 : Today will be my new outlook. I asked for my life to turn out this way. There's this maternal part of me that I was lacking. Am I overcompensating?

pause.

11 : I might like to be an astronaut some day.

13 : If you don't get your ass out here, so help me, you'll end up like your father.

11 : Alright! Mom! Alright! Just one more minute.

11 sits down. Lifts his foot up to the mirror for the last time. Over the next dialogue he finds a needle and pops what has been a blister on his heel.

12 : Oh my gosh, look at the time. I need to go. Mom. You're coming home. You're going to live with me until you can get a job, and then we'll be a family again. For real. No more showers with other ladies, or late night bludgeonings for cigarettes. This is it. The real deal. Let's co-

The blister is popped, 11 gets up and walks out of the bathroom.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home