Tuesday, January 17, 2006

God, My Ears Hurt.

1 : -and I need to know, have you ever watched someone speeding?
2 : How do you mean? I sped to get here.
1 : Have you watched the faces of people who speed? Not yourself, I mean, because it's like, you can't smell your own body odor, so other people then. Speeding by you?
2 : Briefly, in the rear view mirror. If I watched them drive by, I'd probably get myself into an accident.
1 : I tried it once. I saw a woman with her eyes fixated on the car in front of her.
2 : Fixated? Strong word.
1 : She was. I followed her for a little while. Probably shouldn't do that. But I found my eyes gravitating toward the break lights of the car in front of me. I was waiting for the car to break, so then I could break safely also. I did this for about ten minutes before I realized I hadn't blinked in (pause) ten minutes. So I slowed and moved into the travel lane. I also noticed that I would get closer and closer to her with out realizing it. I would have to check my speed. Even when I would use cruise control, my speed would always end up being just a mile an hour faster than her.
2 : That's interesting.

Pause.

2 : I really have nothing to say about this subject anymore.
1 : How's your mother?
2 : She's good. It's what, 4?
1 : Yeah, 4:30.
2 : She's probably shopping right now. I will, no matter what, get a collared shirt from her trip today.
1 : Does your mom always get you collared shirts?
2 : Well, no. She asked me when she called this morning. "Do you need anything?" So I said, "A collared shirt for work. 17 inch neck."
1 : You've got a pretty thick neck.
2 : It's my German blood.
1 : I'm Portuguese.
2 : Oh cool. I thought maybe you were some kind of Hispanic.

Pause.

1 : I guess I'll get going then.
2 : Me too. I've got... Yup.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home