Friday, September 29, 2006

Half Drunk Beer On the Nightstand

Two telephones a man and a woman standing beside them. They both ring.

Judy : Hel-
Todd : Judy.
Judy : Todd?
Todd : Talk to m-

She hangs up. Todd hangs up. The phones rings again.

Todd : Hel-
Judy : Todd.
Todd : Judy?
Judy : Look - I'm sor-

He hangs up. Judy hangs up. The phones ring again.

Judy : Hel-
Todd breaths, shakily.
Judy : Todd?
Todd : I-

She hangs up. Todd hangs up. The phones ring again.

Todd : Hello?
Judy : Todd.
Todd : Judy?
Judy : I'm.
Todd : Sorry?
Judy : Yeah.
Todd : It's ok.
Judy : Ok.

There is a pause.

Todd (not unkindly) : Goodbye then.
Judy : Goodbye.

They both hang up. The phones ring.

Judy (as if she knows already who it is) : Hello.
Todd : Are you alright?
Judy (surprised that it is someone else) : Oh. Yeah, I'm fi-
Todd : Ok good. You didn't stay over.
Judy : I was really drunk.
Todd : Oh. Yeah. You didn't even finish the Bud you start-
Judy : Yeah. I had to go home.
Todd : How'd you get.. home?
Judy : I had friends take me.. You know, Carrie, and -
Todd : Oh alright. Did you get sick?
Judy : Oh no. I stopped just in the nick of time.
Todd : Good. I was worried for a bit, about you.
Judy : No I'm fine. Long night home.

She laughs tensely.

Todd : Can I see you today?
Judy : I don't feel well. I think I should just stay in.
Todd : Ok, well.. give me a call ifyou change your mind.. or tomorrow. Oh. Don't forget, we're going to the fair tomorrow.
Judy : Yeah.
Todd : I am so excited for elephant ears.
Judy (she laughs, humoring him, uncomfortable) : Yeah. I'll talk to you later.
Todd : Bye.

She hangs up. He hangs up. Her phone rings.

Judy : Hello?. Hi! How are you?

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home