Sunday, September 24, 2006

Play Written While Standing Outside Dance Theater Workshop Waiting for Chris, Nel, and Nel's Sister Lucy

Setting - outside Dance Theatre Workshop, 219 19th St, New York, NY. It is chilly. People walk by.

Man (not to anyone in particular) : it is kind of cold tonight.

People walking by ignore.

Man : Ok. Thanks. I wish i had a sweater. If i had a sweater. I woud be warmer than I am right now.

Another man walks up.

Other man : I have a sweater.
Man : Is it warm?
Other man : You know, it does what it is meant to do.
Man : Could i-
Other man : No.
Man : Oh. Well. I guess. Then congratulations on your sweater. I guess.
Other man : Thanks.

Pause

Other man : I got it at the gap.
Man : The sweater?
Other man (insultingly) : Were we talking about anything else?
Man : Well no.
Other man : New York...Jesus.
Man : I am not sure what I did to annoy you. And I am not actually from here. I grew up in Ohio.
Other man : Ohio? Ah god. You people cost us the election.
Man : Well... I didnt live there at the time.. I was in Massachusetts.

The Other man has a look on his face that stops the Man in his tracks. The Man sniffles a couple times. The Other man exhales a hot disgusted breath. Shakes his head and walks away.

Man - I have a runny nose too. This is where I live.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home