Tuesday, March 14, 2006

I Don't Want to Write Plays Anymore

Agent : So. Brian. You have written in a while, huh?
Brian : Well. Yeah, you know. I've been busy.
Agent : I can see that, what, with all your working and everything.
Brian : I've got to make a living somehow, you know?
Agent : You know, Brian, some people - and I'm just saying this because I want you to succeed as a playwrite, you know, it's my job to say this. But some people, Brian, quit their day job and write all the time. Or have jobs where they can sit and write, like tollbooth operators.
Brian : I don't think toll booth operators have time to sit and write. Cars drive through their booths all the time.
Agent : No. Not if there's the electronic charging thing. With the red and green lights. The point is, you need a hit. Or something huge and edgey.
Brian : Right, well, when I start getting my plays produced at every high school in America, I'll quit my job and devote more time to my playwriting.
Agent : ... Yeah. I've gotta tell you, Brian. It's not going to work out if you can't write more. Or better. I need you to write better.
Brian : Ok. I'll do that.
Agent : You know. Plays. Write plays. That are good.
Brian : I've really been thinking a lot about writing articles these days.
Agent : I wouldn't do that.
Brian : Honestly, I think it might give me more to do. Maybe start writing for Mad Magazine or something. I really need a break. And some perspective.
Agent : Really, though. You can do better with plays.
Brian : I don't think I want to write plays anymore. At least not for a while.
Agent : That's horse shit. Let's write a few more, shop them around see how it goes. Maybe more success or consistency in your writing will give you a bit more encouragement to write better.
Brian : Right. Alright. I'll write more.
Agent : And better.
Brian : ...And better.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home