Tuesday, December 20, 2005

When You Sleep

Woman : When you sleep, where do your fingers go?
Other Woman : Excu-Excuse me?
Woman : I always wake up to find mine where I don't think they should be, where do yours go?
Other Woman : I'm sorry. When I sleep?
Woman : When you sleep?
Other Woman : Where do my fingers go?
Woman : Where do they go?
Other Woman : How will I know, if I'm sleeping?
Woman : Do you have a husband - or, I'm sorry, a "partner"?
Other Woman : Well, I'm no dyke, if that's what you mean.
Woman : Wow. Maybe I don't want to know.
Other Woman : You asked. Where do yours go that's so bad?
Woman : I don't want to say, it might make you think that yours go their too.
Other Woman : How do you mean?
Woman : Like when you think you know an answer, but can't place the word- words. And then someone says it outloud and you almost immediately -
Other Woman & Woman : Blurt it out too.
Woman : Right. That's. Kind of annoying.
Other Woman : I was helping prove your point.
Woman : Yes. Well. That's not how I like to operate in a conversation.
Other Woman : I do.
Woman : We'll have to agree to disagree then, and move on.
Other Woman : No.
Woman : Have you answered my question yet?
Other Woman : My fingers, go.
Woman : Go?
Other Woman : I'm sorry. I didn't mean dyke, like dyke-dyke. I was being -
Woman : What?
Other Woman : Ironic.
Woman : I didn't get that.
Other Woman : You don't have as fine of a sense of humor as I do, apparently.
Woman : Please don't insult me - maybe mine is so high, I don't get your plebeian sense of humor.
Other Woman : Maybe mine is so well-developed your scurvy sense of humors pales in comparison.
Woman : Scurvy?
Other Woman : I saw it once in a thesaurus. Under plebeian.
Woman : You looked it up.
Other Woman : I wanted to be prepared. In case of this.
Woman : I see. That makes sense then.
Other Woman : I've got to go now.
Woman : Alright then.
Other Woman : Goodbye.
Woman : Goodbye.
There is a beat.
Other Woman : In my nose.
Woman : I get nosebleeds too.
Other Woman leaves.