Thursday, December 15, 2005

If We All Lived In Bubbles.

A world where everyone is a "bubble boy." A man and a woman. There are flowers.

Man rolls out into the middle of the scene with a kite inside his bubble.

Jack : Alright, Jack - here we go. Time to fly.

He tosses his kite and begins to run, the kite falls, he trips and falls as well. The woman enters the scene. She sees flowers and tries to pick them up.

Lisa : Ooh. Flowers. I love flowers.

She rolls over them, crushing them. She stands over them in her bubble, pawing at the flattened flowers, not entirely sure why she can't grab them.

Jack (noticing her) : Oh, hello there.
Lisa : Huh? Oh. Hi. How are you?
Jack : I'm Jack.
Lisa : I'm Lisa.
Jack : I'm Jack. How are you?
Lisa : I'm good.
Jack : Good.
Lisa : Is that a kite?
Jack : Uh. Yes. Not enough wind to really fly it today though..
Lisa : I love kites.
Jack : Oh right, me too.
Lisa : I was trying to pick flowers. These flowers are no good.
Jack : I find that about most flowers.
Lisa : Do you like -
Jack : Oh yes.
Lisa : Sunshine?
Jack : Oh. Erm. No, actually.
Lisa : Who doesn't like sunshine.
Jack : Jack doesn't.
Lisa : Would like to get coffee some time?
Jack : Ok. Sure. Let's get coffee.
Lisa : How about now?
Jack : Now is good.

They roll off.

Later that day. They have coffee stains on their bubbles. They enter laughing, with their hands pressed against the sides of the bubble that is closest to the other.

Jack : That was really fun.
Lisa : Yeah, it was.
Jack : I really like you.
Lisa : I realy like you, too.

Jack kisses her through his bubble they then proceed to rub their bodies against each other through their bubbles.

Lisa : Wow.
Jack : Me too.
Lisa : I love you.
Jack : I love you, too.
Lisa : Do you want to get married?
Jack : Sure. I think that's a good idea.

They both pull out rings and try to put them on each other's hands, the rings fall to the bottom of the bubbles. Neither seem to notice.

Jack : Let's have a baby.
Lisa : Ok.

A baby in a bubble rolls out.

Jack : Baby!
Lisa : Baby!

They roll the baby back-and-forth.

Lisa : I don't want to be married anymore.
Jack : I still love you.
Lisa : I'm sorry. We're divorced. I resent you too much to stay with you anymore.

She picks up the ring at the bottom of her bubble and throws it at Jack, it merely bounces off the side of her bubble. They walk to separate sides of the stage. A new man walks out on stage, in a bubble.

Lisa : Hi.
New Man : Hello.
Lisa : You're handsome. Do you want to get coffee?
New Man : Why, yes. I would.

They leave.

Jack (with the Baby) : Mom's out tonight, kiddo. It's just you and me.

He pushes the baby across the stage. Walks to the other side, repeats.

Several years later.

Jack & Lisa are older, the baby is a young person.

Jack : Hi.
Lisa : .. Hi.
Jack : How have you been?
Lisa : I've been alright.
Jack : Are you still with .. . .that..
Lisa : No. He wasn't that great.
Jack : We've gotten old.
Lisa : Indeed, we have.

Baby, now Young Person, enters.

Young Person : Hi Mom. Hi Dad.
Lisa : Hello.
Jack : Hi.
Young Person : I'd like to take care of you now.
Lisa : Go ahead.
Jack : We're too old to work, anyway.
Lisa : Do you want to get married again for tax purposes?
Jack : It's probably cheaper to do that, so yes. I do.
Young Person : I'm getting married now.
Young Person leaves.
Lisa : Let's take a nap.
Jack : Ok, let's.