Thursday, December 08, 2005

Letter from 1993

A man in his mid-twenties walks to a door. He rings it. A woman in her midtwenties answers. He takes a deep breath.

Man : Kendra?
Woman : Yes?
Man : Hi.. uh - Hello. God. This is weird.
Woman : I'm sorry?
Man : I have your letter. From a long time ago. You wrote two. And asked if I had a girlfriend. I didn't then. I do now.
The woman just stares at him.
Man : My name is Adam. We knew each other in.. 1st and 2nd grade.
Woman : Adam...?
Man : You invited me to your birthday party, I invited you to mine. We were.. boyfriend girlfriend i guess.
Woman : Adam.
Man : Right. You have an older sister. She whipped me in the face with her jumprope. Then I didn't want to be with you anymore. I mean. Not that we were together.. But, you know. I actually sat and watched "Win, Lose, or Draw" on TV with my brother and changed the opening song to be about you making me want to barf.
Woman : Oh yeah?
Man : You wrote me this letter when we were in 7th grade. We hadn't spoken for years. You asked me how I was, what school was like. You told me about your classes. You kind of wrote it as if I hadn' t remembered you. It was cute. Well, I didn't write back and you wrote again asking why I hadn't written you back. You asked if I had a girlfriend.
Woman : You had a flat top.
Man : Yes! I had a flat top and was really tan.
Woman : You moved to Ohio.
Man : Right.
Woman : Why didn't you write back?
Man : I was still in love with Sabrina then and I didn't have interest in friendship as much as I did with relationships.
Woman : In 7th grade?
Man : Yeah. I know.
Woman : So what are you doing now? I don't want you to tell me about what you did, just what you're doing.
Man : I got my degree in Theatre and then moved to Massachusetts. I work a dance festival now. Which may sound weird.
Woman : A little. Do you like it?
Man : It's alright. I'm thinking about moving on though. It's a job where a person can only stay for a little while.
Woman : Contracted?
Man : Well, no. You'd go crazy after staying there for too long. What about you?
Woman : Well, I.. I. What do I do?
Man : I'd guess that you're a teacher. You teach history.
Woman : That's right. That's what I do. I too got my college degree and I started teaching. History.
Man : And you're married.
Woman : Yes. i've been married for.
Man : Three years.
Woman : Yes. three years.
Man : And you're happy.
Woman : Very happy.
Man : And you'll stay in California until you retire. Maybe moving north before you pass away. Your husband works in engineering. He loves you. You met in the college's grocery store. You knew right away but had to wait until he realized that you'd be together too. It took about a year and a half. You're friends with April B from school too. She's the only one I remember, that wasn't a "best friend."

April B enters.

April B : Adam! Oh my god!