Tuesday, January 31, 2006

Timmy of the Past, Tim of the Present, and Future Timothy All Collide.

Timmy sits on a bench swinging his feet. On the opposite side of the bench, Timothy sit and hums, staring outward. Tim enters with a newspaper under his arm. After pausing to weigh the situation of sitting between two people, he sits and reads his newspaper.

Timmy : Hi.

Pause. Tim looks up from his newspaper.

Tim : Hi.

Timmy : I'm Timmy.

Tim : I'm Tim.

Timmy : Hi Tim, I'm Timmy.

Tim : Hi Timmy.

Pause.

Timmy : You look like me.

Tim, who went back to reading his paper looks up from it again. He closes the paper.

Tim : Well, you look like me.

Timmy : Are you from the future.

Tim : Are you from the past?

Timmy pauses. He gets up and walks over to the Timothy.

Timmy (to Timothy) : Are you his Dad?

Timothy : No. I am not.

Timmy : You look like him. And he looks like me.

Timothy : What a strange coincidence.

Timmy : That's what I'm saying.

Timothy : What is your name?

Timmy : Timmy.

Timothy : How funny! My name is Timothy. We have very similar names. And very similar faces. Aside from that this man - What is your name son?

Tim : Tim.

Timothy : Ah! Aside from Tim looking more like the two of us than we look like each other.

Timmy : I don't know you said.

Timothy : I'm saying what you're saying. We look alike.

Tim clears his throat and tries to go back to his newspaper. Timmy interupts.

Timmy : Tim, what's your last name?

Tim : I'm sorry?

Timmy : Mine's Oscarwitch.

Timothy : Timmy, that's my last name too!

Timmy : Really Timothy?

Timothy : Yes. You know, I've never met anyone with my last name that wasn't related to me.

They both look at Tim.

Tim : Oscarwitch.

Both Timothy and Timmy gasp.

Timothy : Timmy, where were you born?

Timmy : Rye, New York.

Tim stands up and walks away from the two, but stays on stage.

Timothy : My! That's where I was born in 1980.

Timmy : You weren't born in 1980! I was born in 1980.

Timothy : You certainly couldn't have been born then, you'd be as old as dust. Like me!

Timmy : No. I was born in 1980, and today is January 31st 1989.

Tim : 2009.

Timmy : What?

Tim : Timmy, it's 2009, that would make you 29 this year, as old as I am.

Timothy : It's 2049.

Pause.

Timothy : Timmy is your mom's name Donna?

Timmy : Yes! Oh my gosh! How did you know?

Timothy : What if I told you that I was you, from the future?

Timmy : REALLY? OHWOW! Does that mean I invented time travel?

Timothy : Well. Sort of.

Tim : You're both being ridiculous.

Timothy : Tim. Stop. You're being an ass.

Tim : Stop lying to that kid.

Timothy : I'm not. I really did sort of invent time travel.

Tim : Like Al Gore sort of invented the internet.

Tim is the only who laughs, as he is the only to get the cultural reference.

Tim : If you did. Then why are you here?

Timothy : To show you how you've changed since you were a child.

Timmy : I grow up to be Tim?

Tim : Oh stop. If you're me, I wouldn't be that cliche. After all, I turn out to be you anyway. What you're saying if you need to show me what I've become since childhood is that I, and you, are living our lives incorrectly and by not liking who I am now, you dislike who you were and since I eventually become you, there clearly can't be something wrong with what I'm doing now. Because who really, seriously, does not like himself with out committing suicide?

Timmy : Do you guys want to play Don't Break the Ice?

Timothy : You're right, Tim. Actually, I need a blood transfusion. In the future our blood is so rare that out of necessity, not desire, I've created this alternate universe where we can all meet, and if you said no, I could threaten to kill Timmy, which would kill us both. There's a lot of pain in your future, Tim. I can still repent if I kill Timmy, not if I kill myself.

Tim : But if you need a blood transfusion, then you'll need someone else's blood. Wouldn't my blood have the same problems yours does?

Timothy pauses, thinks.

Timothy : I guess you have a point. This was a waste of time. I created time travel in vain.

Timmy has fallen asleep on the floor.

Tim : Well, it's not really a waste of time. You could go back to when you first started doing the work and tell yourself not to do it. Then none of this would have ever happened and you'd never create time travel. You'd still have the same problems, but then you can focus on something different.

Timothy : So I created time travel so I could uncreate time travel?

Tim : I guess.

Timothy : Huh. An interesting concept. That means none of this would happen. You'd never remember this. Timmy wouldn't either. It is an interesting concept. I hadn't really planned on things going this way. I figured I would convince you, or if not, threaten you, or if all else fails, stab you with a needle and take your blood. I wouldn't have minded the scar when I got back. Huh.

Timothy pauses.

Timothy : I'm kind of stuck here for a while, mind if I steal the business section of the paper?

Tim : We read the business section?

Timothy : Yeah.

Tim (thoughtfully, but not surprised, as if to say, "That's interesting, but I won't focus any thought on that after this moment.") : Huh.

Tim hands the business section to Timothy.

Timothy : Thanks.

Tim hands Timothy the business section and begins to read. Tim continues reading where he left off. Timmy sleeps on the floor still.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home