Wednesday, December 21, 2005

Over-the-Shoulder Guy

Steve sits at his desk with a computer, he types away. Conor comes in behind him and starts to stare over his shoulder, saying nothing. He does so for about a minute.

Steve : Hi Conor.
Conor : Hey.

There is another pause.

Steve : Everything alright?
Conor : Oh yeah. Great.

Steve swings around and accidentally kicks Conor in the shins.

Conor : Ow! Watch out Steve.
Steve : Jeez, I'm sorry Conor. You were standing so close to my chair that I - it was an accident I'm sorry.
Conor : Really. Come on now, be a little more careful.
Steve : Maybe if you weren't lurking over me like that, you wouldn't have been hit in the shins.

There is a long pause where they stare at each other.

Conor : What are you saying?
Steve : You were too close to me. You were looking over my shoulder.
Conor : Well, you didn't have to kick me.
Steve : I didn't ki-
Conor : I don't know how old you think you are, but I can tell you're not a kid. So I expect adult behavior from my coworkers. Seriously Steve. Silliness is acceptable, but voilence isn't. You could have said something. I do have ears and I'm not completely unreasonable.
Steve : Conor -.
Conor : No. You know what? I forgive you. It's fine.

Steve looks at Conor. He gives up, turns back to his computer and starts to type again. Conor continues looking over Steve's shoulder. Until they die.