Saturday, December 31, 2005

A Hopeful Rebeginnning

A portable restroom stands in the center of a town. A man opens the door walks out. He is shocked. He goes back in and comes out again. He is still shocked, he looks around. He stands, scratching his head. A woman enters.

Man : Excuse me.
Woman : Good afternoon.
Man : Can you tell - this may sound strange - where am I?
Woman : What?
Man : Where.. am I?
Woman : Ohio.
Man : That's funny, I thought I was. Maybe I just sat here for so long that I forgot what the area looked-
Woman : Illinois.
Man : I thought you said Ohio.
Woman : Ohio, Illinois.
Man : What?
Woman : Ohio, Illinois. The town of Ohio, Illinois.
Man : What? I. I should be in Toledo.
Woman : Toledo, Illinois?
Man : No. Toledo, Ohio.
Woman : You've either driven way too far, or not nearly far enough. If you go back south to I-80 East, I think that'll take you.
Man : I didn't drive here.
Woman : Oh. Well if you walk back south and take -
Man : No. I - . I was going to the restroom, and when I went in there, I was in Toledo, but when I came out, I was here. In Ohio.
Woman : Well it's a good place to end up. From what I hear, Toledo is kind of an armpit.
Man : Well, yeah - they once tried to change the slogan to Toled-Oh! but rather than making people thing, "Oh! Toledo." They thought "Tolee D'oh!" like Homer Simpson.
The woman stares blankly at him. The portable toilet begins to slide off stage.
Man : Wait. Where are you going?
Woman : I don't think it's going anywhere. It is sitting on a truck.
Man : Oh god. I'm lost. I need to get home. I have to work. I have.
Woman : It was nice talking to you.
The woman leaves. The man sits on the ground, stands up, kicks the ground.