Sunday, November 19, 2006

I've Got A Snack In My Bag

Man : It's ok everyone. Everyone! It's ok. I have a snack in my bag.

He points offstage.

Man : The messenger bag off stage left over there. There is a snack in the one of the smaller pockets inside the main part of the bag. I can not eat it right now, as I need to finish this play first, but as soon as I leave the stage. I will, in fact, walk to my bag and open it, remove the snack, and then eat it. In mere moments, that is what I will do. I will eat it and enjoy its glorious mix of crackers and cheese and the fact that they give me enough power and control over my cheese to cracker, or cracker to cheese ration destiny. They put that cracker in my hand and say, look here, guy! You choose!

I've been looking forward to this all day. As a child I would rarely get this kind of snack. But when I do - OH BOY, it was glorious. Goodness abounded, and special events and memories mark the specific days I had these crackers and cheese. My first kiss, 13 years ago, an A+ in a science class 8 years ago, a goal in a soccer match 5 years ago. We didn't win - But I STILL SCORED. I'd not thought about this for years... until, listlessly walking through the grocery store. Suddenly, Crackers and Cheese. Crackers and cheese - crackers and cheese! Every single time, something goes well. So. In a few moments, I will tempt fate. I will look her in the eyes and ask her what's in store for me, today. With only a short time remaining today, what will she do this time. Something great will happen. I have this feeling.

He makes a circle with his hand around his stomach.

Man : Here we go!

He runs off. The lights fade. The rise up again on ANOTHER man sitting center stage with the empty container of the cheese and crackers. He lips the tips of his fingers. The first man just walks out, up stage and in a corner and stares.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home