Monday, October 16, 2006

Fathers and Sons

A son, eating ice cream. It's chocolate. Chocolate is getting all over his face. He is standing next to his dad, who stands looking off. The son, who is maybe 8, licks his icecream to hard and it drops to the ground. He begins to cry.

Son : Daddy. It-it fell.
Father (annoyed) : What?
Son : The wind knocked it over.
Father : Knocked what over?
Son : My icecream cone.
Father : You dropped it.
Son : No. It fell.
Father : You dropped it on the ground. Stop crying.
Son : I - I - I'm sorry. I didn't mean
Father : For Christ's sake, stop crying!

He pushes his son a little.

Son : I can't help-
Father : Stop the fucking crying, you're not getting the ice cream back. It's ruined.
Son : Can- I get a - new-
Father : Jesus. No!

He pushes his son onto the ground. Violently.

Father : Get up, let's go.

The Son cries hard. The father goes to grab his hand. He gets it, the child shrieks. It is bloodcurdling. The Father picks up and holds the child. He is not happy.

Father : Jesus. Always fucking - grow up a little huh? That's all I want. Grow up.

He begins to walk a little, the child's crying subsides to sniffles. A man in a suit coat enters the stage. He looks to the ice cream, then to the Father holding his son. He applauds.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home