Saturday, September 09, 2006

Scene 9

The convenience store. The front wall of the convenience store is now missing, so the audience can see inside. It looks a little "used," with markings on the walls from poorly fastened advertisements from years ago, generic foods, and overstuffed shelves. The LED sign remains, and it now scrolls, "Try our sandwiches, get a free Pepsi."

The thin man enters, smoking. He stands outside to finish. He stands for a moment. The well-dressed man enters, pauses, and uncomfortably walks by. He sees the scrolling sign and walks into the store. The thin man puts out his cigarette and walks in.

The two men go to a cooler in the back. On the tops of their heads are seen.

Well-Dressed Man : Sandwiches. I don't know which one to get.
Thin Man : Uh-huh.
Well-Dressed Man : I guess I feel like a ham and cheese.
Thin Man : Right.
Well-Dressed Man : Excuse me - they made the aisles too narrow for two people to walk through. I'm sorry excuse -

The Well-Dressed Man squeezes by, bumping into a shelving unit hard. Some of the goods fall off.

Well-Dressed Man : Geez. I'm sorry.

The Thin Man grunts a little and stays, contemplating the sandwiches. The woman enters, sees the sign and walks in.

Well-Dressed Man : Carol?
Woman : Don!
They kiss.

Woman : What are you doing here?
Well-Dressed Man : I was just.. getting a sandwich and a free pepsi.
Woman : Huh. Me too. I saw the s-
Well-Dressed Man : The sign. Me too. Haha, that's funny.
Woman : Yeah.
Well-Dressed Man : Advertising. Huh.
Woman : What kind of sandwich did you get?
Well-Dressed Man : Ham and cheese.
Woman : Ah... Sounds.. Good.
Well-Dressed Man : Yeah, I - wasn't so sure about the tuna, or the chicken salad.
Woman : Yeah. Best to play it safe.
Well-Dressed Man : Well, do you want me to wait - or...
Woman : Oh don't wait, I'll see you at home.
Well-Dressed Man : Oh.. ok. Bye then.
They kiss.
Woman : Bye.

The woman walks back to the sandwiches.

Woman : Excuse me.

She and the thin man look at the sandwiches. The thin man moves for a sandwich.

Woman : Tuna, huh?
Thin Man : Huh. Yep.

He grabs his sandwich, his soda, and leaves.

Woman : Chicken salad.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home