Tuesday, November 22, 2005

Rays of Sunshine

setting : a convention for people named Ray; the greeter's table on which nametags with numbers instead of names sit.

1 stands at the table, 2 enters.

1 : Welcome!
2 : Thank you.
1 : Here is your name badge, you just walk on through that door.
2 : ..it's a number?
1 : Why yes. Since we are all named Ray, we tought it might be easier to identify each other with numbers. I'm number 1, and you are number... 6.
2 : I'm the sixth the person to get here?
1 : Hm. I guess you are!
3 & 4 enter.
1 : Welcome.. 7 and 8!
3 : Hello.
4 : How are ya?
1 : It's a lovely day to make new friends.
2. : .. but if I'm number 6, am I no longer Ray?
1 : We're all Ray, but here you are number 6.
3 : We're from Wisconsin, where are you all from?
1 : I'm a local, from born and raised right here in the town of Oregon.
2 : I'm from Iowa.
4 : That's fantastic.. numbers 1 and 6? Where are 2 through 5?
1 : They're already inside.
3 : Shall we than?
3 & 4 exit.
1 : Don't you want to enter also? There's punch and cookies.
2 : Well, no.. I.. Don't feel entirely comfortable going in quite yet.
1 : No?